As Thanksgiving quickly approaches I thought I would share my go to gluten free crowd pleaser – cornbread! This recipe was adapted from Gluten Free Living magazine a few years back. I have never tried it with regular all purpose flour, but I know it can be made with regular milk and eggs, I just chose to make it with flax eggs and almond milk.
Gluten Free Cornbread (with vegan option)
Yield: 9 servings
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup 1:1 gluten free flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 flax eggs
- In a small bowl, mix 1 tbsp ground flax meal with 3 tbsp of water for each egg needed and set aside for 5-10 minutes before mixing into the batter.
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled (use earth balance if vegan)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spread an 8 x 8 inch pan with non-stick spray.
- Mix the cornmeal, gluten free flour, salt, and baking soda in a bowl and set aside.
- Combine sugar, butter, and flax eggs in a large bowl and then slowly mix in the dry ingredients. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into the greased 8 x 8 pan and bake for 30-45 minutes – until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Serve immediately with butter or jam and enjoy!
If you try this recipe with any alterations let us know in the comments how it turns out.
Happy Thanksgiving and Enjoy!