For National Nutrition Month this year the Raleigh District Dietetic Association had a hummus showdown for members to show off their hummus making skills. For this competition I created a chocolate hummus recipe that totally rocks. It ended up winning second place in the hummus showdown – woo! It is gluten free and vegan (if you top with enjoy life chocolate chips instead of regular) too.
Award Winning Decadent Chocolate Hummus
- 1 – 15 ounce can chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/3 cup agave syrup
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp water
- Chocolate chips (optional for topping – I used enjoy life mini chocolate chips)
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add to a food processor or blender.
- Add the tahini, agave, cocoa powder, vanilla, salt and 2 tbsp water.
- Puree for about 30 seconds then scrape down the bowl. Taste, if necessary add a bit more agave to taste. Add an additional 1-2 tbsp of water if needed to get to a creamy consistency.
- Top with chocolate chips (optional)
- Store refrigerated.
- Serve with pretzels (Snyders gluten free pretzels are the bomb), green apple slices, or strawberries.
I hope you enjoy! Let me know if you try it in the comments below.