Two posts in one weekend, who am I?! A marathon runner that’s tapering, that’s who. Circa 2010-2012 I used to make these black bean brownies almost weekly. They satisfied my sweet tooth and made me feel good because I was getting in some protein and fiber (from the beans) at the same time. So last night I decided to whip up a gluten free version. Expectations exceeded, to say the least. They are delicious. I adapted the recipe from No Meat Athlete. Here’s my take on the black bean brownie!
Vegan Gluten Free Black Bean Brownies
Servings: 1 – 9×13 pan (9-12 brownies)
- 1 1/2 cups 1:1 Gluten Free Flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups cocoa powder
- 4 tsp instant espresso powder (or instant coffee)
- 1 – 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed, drained and refilled with new water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup enjoy life chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9×13 pan with non stick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder, sugar, cocoa powder, and espresso powder.
- Rinse and drain the canned black beans and refill with fresh water. Pour the black beans and water into a blender or food processor. Puree the black beans with water until smooth.
- Add the black bean puree, water, and vanilla to the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- Add the walnuts and enjoy life chocolate chips (or regular chocolate chips if you don’t want/need the brownies to be dairy free).
- Pour the batter into the 9×13 pan and bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. It took my oven about 35 minutes, it depends on the thickness of the pan you use, and your oven.
- Let cool for at least 15 minutes in the pan before serving! Serve warm with Nada Moo vanilla ice cream (a FAVE in my house).
- Store covered in the refrigerator.