Exciting news, I am writing this post to you as a Registered Dietitian! It’s been a long time coming, and I’m excited to keep sharing my allergen free treats and finds with you one recipe at a time. Peanut butter is a staple in my home. We eat it at breakfast, we eat it for snacks, Boone (my pup) even knows the sound of the peanut butter jar opening and comes running. So, it’s no surprise that we needed to come up with a gluten free, vegan peanut butter recipe. I’m sure you could also use eggs, regular flour, and butter in this recipe if your household is free of allergens!
Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies
Servings: About 2-3 dozen cookies, depending on size
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup peanut butter*
- 1/4 cup shortening (vegetable)
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance (or vegan butter of choice)
- 1 flax egg:
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 1/4 cup of 1:1 gluten free flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the flax meal and 3 tbsp water to a small bowl and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, cream the sugar, peanut butter, butter, and shortening until uniform and fluffy. Add in the flax egg and mix.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredient. Refrigerate the dough for 2 hours, or until firm.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls (or a little bigger if you like a larger cookie) and place on the cookie sheet. Bake for about 8-10 minutes, or until lightly browned around the edges. Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, transfer to a cooling rack.
- Enjoy warm or store in an airtight container to have for the week!
*I used Jif Natural, but you could also use almond butter, sunbutter, or any other nut butter! If the nut butter has a liquid consistency you may need to add more flour. If you try a different nut butter let us know how it turned out in the comments!