A few years back my mom bought me a donut pan. I tried on a few occasions to make a gluten and egg free donut with no luck. The donuts were either gummy, or the icing wouldn’t harden. Enter this recipe from delightfuladventures.com. I adapted it a little and the result was magical.
Magical, am I right?
Vegan Gluten Free Baked Chocolate Donuts
Servings: 6 donuts Total time: 25 minutes
- 1 flax egg
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 3 tbsp water
- 3/4 cup gluten free flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup + 3 tbsp granulated cane sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
For the Drizzle:
- 2 tbsp peanut butter (or any nut butter of your choosing)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and grease the donut pan.
In a small bowl, combine the ground flaxseed and water and set aside for 5 minutes.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
In a separate bowl, combine the milk, melted coconut oil, vanilla, and flax egg.
Pour the wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix to combine.
Use a piping bag or a large Ziploc bag to pipe the mixture into the donut pan.
Bake for 10 minutes, until the tops of the donuts are springy (aka they bounce back if you touch them).
Remove from oven and let them cool in the pan for 3-5 minutes before removing them to cool fully on a cooling rack.
- Store donuts in the fridge in an airtight container.
For the Drizzle:*
- In the microwave, heat the 2 tbsp of nut butter for about 30-45 seconds, until it is a slightly melted.
- Add the maple syrup to the nut butter and thoroughly mix. The mixture should be thick enough to hold its shape on the top of the donut.
- Drizzle on the tops of the donuts with a spoon or ziploc bag.
*I recommend not topping the donuts until right before you are going to eat them, to avoid them getting soggy.
Depending on your choice of dairy/egg substitutes this recipe can easily be made top 8 allergen free. Questions about a substitution? Feel free to ask in the comments!