Happy Friday and more importantly….Happy National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day!!! I woke up this morning and just felt like baking, has that ever happened to anyone else? Anyways, I couldn’t have planned it more perfectly to test out my Matcha Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe on National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day! If you know me well you know that chocolate chip cookies have always been my thing. I used to scoop Nestle Toll House Cookie Dough out of the Costco sized container on the regular as a child/teenager. Fast forward a couple decades (and a few food allergies) later and you KNOW I perfected the gluten free/vegan chocolate chip cookie.
If you followed my dietetic internship adventures you may be aware that I am obsessed with matcha lattes. When I was in Hermosa Beach, CA for my last rotation I had almond milk matcha lattes every where I possibly could. (Hello, gum tree and kirari west. I miss you!) So here we are, I finally purchased my own matcha and have been drinking matcha lattes all week (Ripple Foods milk + 2 shots espresso + 1 tsp matcha = pure magic). I decided to take one of my favorite grain free chocolate chip cookie recipes and see if I couldn’t turn it in to a matcha chocolate chip cookie. Success. This cookie has the perfect mix of sweet & earthy flavors, like a matcha latte!
This is the matcha powder I have been using. It is amazing in lattes, smoothies, and worked very well for baking. I purchased it at Whole Foods.
Matcha Chocolate Chip Cookies (Gluten Free & Vegan)
Serves: 24 bite sized (1″) cookies or 12 large (2-2.5″) cookies
Time: 30-35 minutes
- 1 cup almond flour (super fine blanched almond flour)
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp matcha powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp vegan butter, at room temp (I used earth balance, you could also do 6 tbsp of room temp coconut oil, or unsalted butter)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 6 tbsp nut butter (I used Jif natural peanut butter, but almond butter would work fine here as well)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 flax egg
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 3 tbsp water
- combine in small bowl and let sit for 5 minutes before adding to dough
- 3/4 c enjoy life mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour, matcha powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer combine the butter and sugar and beat until fluffy, about 1 minute. Add the vanilla extract and nut butter and mix on medium speed until combined. Add the flax egg and mix on low until incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined. Add the chocolate chips and mix until incorporated.
- Roll dough into 1″ balls and place about 2″ apart on lined cookie sheet. Press the balls down slightly with your hand or a fork.
- Bake for 11-14 minutes until the cookies no longer look wet and edges are starting to crack. Remove from oven and let cool on cookie sheet for 2-5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Pro tip: the cookies should still be very soft when you remove them from the oven. They will firm up while cooling. If you over bake they will start to brown, which does not look super appealing with the green matcha color.
- Enjoy! Once cooled, store in an airtight container lined with parchment paper for 3-4 days.
Did you try this recipe? Make any substitutions? Let us know how they turned out in the comments below!
Want to share this recipe? Please link back to the original post here or @lizhurley_rd on Instagram! Happy Baking!